[opendtv] Re: Spectrum Repacking Looms for TV Broadcasters

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 18:31:12 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> The only irony is that had the US adopted DVB-T COFDM in 2000 in
> response to the Sinclair proposal, HD and Dolby Digital audio would
> have been included in the standard.

Yes, and probably also inner interleaving.

But the proposal included the willingness to reduce ERP, in order to fit within
the FCC planning factors. So to me, the user, it would have meant either more
difficult reception or, more likely, lower spectral efficiency, as the
broadcasters dialed back to a higher FEC or to 16-QAM, to compensate for the
power deficit. (Remember that my "antenna farm" is at ground level inside the
fireplace. I love it being in there.)

DVB-T2 may have been an easier fit.

Anyway, given how many of the broadcasters are not exactly using their channel
efficiently, the impact of lowering spectral efficiency may have been minimal.
Except for stations that do it right, like our MHz Networks and its 10
subchannels (over two carriers), or others that transmit HD + 3 SD in their
channel. And good luck with any ideas that we might heva upgraded to DVB-T2.
OTA broadcasting will disappear before that happens.