[opendtv] Re: Spectrum Repacking Looms for TV Broadcasters

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 09:44:15 -0400

Yes, granted. I was only responding to the more current mantra that COFDM "was designed for" SFNs, which it was not originally, and that SFNs would save untold 100s of MHz of spectrum for the FCC, which they would not. At least, not without other changes.

And who has been delivering this mantra?

I have not seen anyone ever say that COFDM "was designed for SFNs." But it is an option that was enabled by the manner in which the standard was implemented.

 And those choices can change over time without obsolescing
 existing equipment in the field.

Heh. Tell that to the folks who need to buy DVB-T2 STBs just to watch HDTV!!

Nobody ever told these folks that they would get HDTV via DVB-T. What they were told, AND GIVEN, was a viable standard that exploited the investment made by Euro broadcasters in ITU-R BT 601 digital video equipment, including widescreen video. They were given VERY AFFORDABLE DTV receiver boxes that have served their purpose well.

The need to upgrade is not an evil thing if you are getting a new generation product that offers enough advantages to justify the upgrade. And it is not like the existing DVB-T systems are shutting down - those Freeview boxes are still quite useful, especially for the smaller TV that most Europeans own.

Now that HD is a viable industry Euro consumers have the option to
buy new displays and receivers that are still backward compatible with the DVB-T system.

This is exactly the business model that many advocated when the U.S. DTV standard was created. But we got a government mandate for ATSC receivers that most folks do not use instead.

By the way. I think people are going to need new receivers for ATSC MHP...