[opendtv] Re: Sling TV Struggles During Final Four | Multichannel

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 06:08:13 -0400

Blah blah blah.

The Internet is growing and reaching appropriate scale as these new services
are added. You said it yourself.

Sling - which is a MVPD service - was not ready to handle the load. Now try
having 20 million people stream a live event, instead of 10,000.

On Apr 8, 2015, at 8:28 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

And this spike in demand was anticipated, yet the system could not
handle it.

No, Craig. The spike was underestimated, so in different parts, the system
overloaded. You don't hear complaints for Netflix and Hulu these days, right?
Like I said, no one is claiming we need to sit by for another 10 years, as
you claimed, for "the Internet" to be upgraded.

It just proves that we are still in the early stages of using the
Internet to deliver popular live content to large audiences.

The only thing it proves is that you have to distribute the necessary assets.
Others have done so. Now Sling has to.

By the way Bert, unlike the Monday night championship game which
was on CBS, the only way to watch the semi-finals on TBS was with
a MVPD subscription. I suspect a few people signed up for Sling
just to watch these games,

So once again, Sling is not an MVPD. It is more like any other OTT site, and
less like traditional MVPDs. So, what you're saying is that people HAVE
discovered that they can access these games WITHOUT MVPD subscription. I
suspect, instead, that just like Netflix, which also had early teething
problems with streaming, solutions like Sling TV and Netflix will be the
future of TV. Early teething problems get forgotten pretty fast, Craig.

This is why the Internet is not ready for a massive shift from
dedicated video delivery infrastructures

You're just blowing hot air, Craig. We've been over this many times, but as
always, sooner rather than later, you prefer to fall back to your old saw. Go
ahead and ferret any credible source out there that supports this opinion of
yours, Craig.

I do understand the issues Bert.

Prove it. Find any credible source that supports your view, that we need to
wait around for "the Internet" to be ungraded, for the next decade, before it
can handle TV well.

Clearly these companies are not waiting around.

Clearly. You don't see Sling blaming "the Internet," do you? They blamed
themselves. The problems could have been avoided now, not 10 years from now.

If you buy a home appliance that requires 20 amps at 110 volts, chances are
pretty good that you'll have no outlet capable of that. But you don't need to
sit around for 10 years for "the power grid" to catch up, Craig. All you need
is to add a 20 amp 110 V circuit to your breaker box.