[opendtv] Re: Sling TV Struggles During Final Four | Multichannel

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 23:13:08 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

Yesterday I used the analogy of physical highways and traffic
congestion issues that arise during peak usage periods.

Now you need to find credible justification that this applies to ISP
architectures. Just saying something doesn't make it so, Craig. Find some
credible source that makes any claims about 10 years of waiting around are
needed.

When I say the Internet is not ready to handle a massive switch to
IP delivery of entertainment, you should think in terms of what
the infrastructure will look like in ten or twenty years.

Why? We know it will change in the decades to come. That does not prove
anything. Here's a simple example. When Sling ran into problems, it was because
many people wanted to watch the same content at the same time. One likely
problem they ran into was not enough Sling servers at the edges of some of
these ISP nets. But another way to tackle this particular problem would have
been for the ISP nets to use authenticated IP multicast (there are ways to do
this, and I posted the IETF source some time ago). Either way, these qualify as
teething problems, not anything like "the Internet isn't ready," as you claim.
It doesn't take a decade to set up an ISP net for authenticated multicast,
Craig. No one involved with TV over the Internet is making the claims you make,
Craig. Ever wondered why?

You might well have experienced the same problems, IF you had
chosen to subscribe to Sling to watch the Final Four.

No, Craig. The point is, *if* it was "the Internet" that was overloaded by
Sling, I should have experienced problems regardless. Just like you traffic jam
analogy. Everyone becomes affected. So the fact that I was not experiencing
those problems demonstrates that "the Internet" was not overloaded. Certain
servers, in certain locations, yes.

1. Sling offers a subset of the same live linear TV network
streams as traditional DBS, Cable and Fiber MVPD systems.

Sling does not offer OTA broadcast channels, certainly not live, whereas CBS
All Access does. Are you going to claim that CBS All Access is an MVPD?

2. Sling offers add on mini bundles of additional live linear
networks (i.e. multiple video programs).

Wwitv.com is a portal with loads of live and on demand streams. And Amazon
offers more than just one layer of video streaming authenticated access. I
don't see live streams or different layers of access qualifying as MVPD, any
more than some of these other OTT sites.

3. Sling offers on demand access to libraries of entertainment
content - in this they behave more like other OTT services

Indeed, so drop #3 from your list.

4. CBS All Access is NOT a MVPD service, as it only offers ONE
live linear channel of your local CBS Affiliate, not multiple
channels.

And #4 gets dropped too, since it's not a reason.

Admittedly, some of this is linguistic semantics.

That's the most credible point. MVPDs are different because they act as the
single gatekeeper for all your TV channels. Sling, instead, very much acts as
that additional OTT site you might want, whose ace in the hole happens to be
live sports. Other OTT sites focus on other content, such as movies, TV shows.