[opendtv] Re: Serivces and Applications

  • From: "John Willkie" <jmwillkie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 11:19:30 -0700

I would not agree with your characterization of my thinking, even though I
am working these days on something that can only be marketed to TV stations.

The truth is that BEFORE there can be data broadcasting of wide utility,
there needs to be a navigation infrastructure.  PSIP does that for DTV, and
equipment that transmits Data Event Tables (etc) does that for data.  My
interests extend even beyond that.

However, I'm also interested in entities that can and do pay their bills and
have realistic ways of reaching consumers.  Your "concepts" are,
essentially, half-baked (for the moment) in that context.

There have for many years been alternative ways of getting radio and tv
programming.  The legal constraints and technical issues get in the way:
most people still get TV and radio programming via over the air and cable
retransmission.

Since I don't think that content and carriage ARE coupled, I don't spend
more than ten seconds per year thinking about decoupling them, despite your
efforts.

By the way, the term you've been hunting for these years is "ubiquituous
service."  But, do I really want to watch TV after I get up from my easy
chair and mount my bicycle or start up the car?  What service (other than
radio) would interest me so much to want to do that?