[opendtv] Re: Serivces and Applications

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 11:53:20 -0700

>The truth is that BEFORE there can be data broadcasting of wide utility,
there needs to be a navigation infrastructure.  PSIP does that for DTV, and
equipment that transmits Data Event Tables (etc) does that for data.  My
interests extend even beyond that.

That's debatable. All data broadcasting systems use some form of service
discovery - usually a fixed PID carrying metadata which describes other PIDs
and channels to receive data on, and drills down further to arrival,
synopsis, and other data elements. It's all well and good that PSIP does
that, but you can't take a datacasting system built on PSIP annoucements and
use it without modification on a DVB or WiFi network. Hence going back to
metadata on the IP level and using a fixed PID being the most flexible
approach if one wants one system that can be deployed over any IP-capable
transport.

There are some initiatives to carve out universal datacasting announcement
mechanisms for different OS's. I won't mention names but I have usually had
the distinct impression that these forums are usually a 'teach us how to do
this' ruse.

Just my 2c.

Cheers
Kon