[opendtv] Re: Serivces and Applications

  • From: "John Willkie" <jmwillkie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 13:28:58 -0700

Tom;

Please don't let my opinions squelch what you want/have to say.

I was trying -- unsuccessfully, I suspect -- to get you and Craig and others
to think about how to actually serve the markets, rather than offering out
half-baked "technological solutions" that would not fly in the market place.

During this discourse, I actually came up with a consumer-friendly service
to automobilists.  One that they will enjoy as a free service, and that
could have premium aspects as well.  The market is people who are driving in
traffic, or are about ready to leave home.  The services will work with
applications in suitably-equpped cars.

Hell, it will LENGTHEN people's productive lives because they'll spend much
less time in traffic than they do now.  And, it's a clear enhancement of
something that is done on broadcast stations now, but never done "well."

NO VIDEO is involved.  Just data.  Data that is rendered in different forms
depending on how the consumer's car is equipped.

I should be able to get funds from car manufacturers, consumer electonic
companies, Federal, state and local governments, advertisers, broadcasters,
even consumers.

And, it will work PERFECTLY over 2-VSB, 8-VSB, even 9-VSB, Ibiquity,
RadioMondiale, DVB.  Indeed, the transport doesn't matter, since the
underlying data changes maybe a dozen times an hour, and the transmitted
data set is less than 100K per second.  Probably much less.

So, you keep on trying to force video into the back seat of cars so that
kids can watch DVDs that weren't available before they left home, all in a
vain attempt to "prove" that people need to watch live transmissions at 90
miles per hour.

Me, I'll stick with services and applications that travel over ANY
transport.