[opendtv] STB wars

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 15:38:31 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> Is there a stealth war going on against all STB's?
>
> The various cablecard initiatives
>
> announcements from LG/Zenith and others suggest that
> not many new HD STB's are coming on the market soon,
>
> Plus we see STB unfriendly legislation from California
> setting STB specific and possibly unreachable power
> usage standards.
>
> Marks Memo also mentioned a UK article claiming STB
> power consumption was collectively huge and evil,
>
> This all smacks of a campaign.

It does. My first reaction about the California story,
which penalized only DTT STBs, was that some politician
was in bed with the subscription services.

Seems to me this the the typical tempest in a teapot,
created mostly by politicos who need to make a name for
themselves. To focus on STBs as a huge evil seems so
ridiculous, when compared with just about any other
powered device in households. I mean, how about those
useless plug-in deodorizers? Or night lights, that
people leave on all the time? That's the kind of
consumption we're talking about here.

How many people use light bulbs that are less than 25
watts? In fact, if we're going to talk about saving
energy in meaningful ways (instead of grandstanding to
the brainless), why are light bulbs permitted at all?
Or frost-free refrigerators? Or garage door openers?

There's no question that stand-alone STBs require some
power, but built into integrated sets, tuners and
decoders also require power. Gee, isn't that amazing.
Shut off NTSC, and receivers will be able to save power
by eliminating the NTSC tuner. The STB, per se, is just
a transitional solution anyway.

What nonsense, honest. Why don't these politicians
focus on something useful, for a change, like a
campaign to tell peope to shut down just *ONE* light
in the house while watching TV with an STB. That
action alone will save more than this dumb PR
campaign dish out.

(Not that working hard to reduce power consumption of
*all* appliances is a bad thing, of course.)