[opendtv] Re: (S) DTV adaptors available for less than 50 euros

  • From: Olivier Houot <olho_avatar_i@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 00:09:45 +0200

>Does that 49 Euros include the 18% VAT?

>Bob Miller

Yes , as Donald has pointed out, sticker prices include VAT. 49 euros is
the price you pay to take the good away .

John Willkie wrote :

> Highly unlikely, Olivier, that there will be greater problems --
> funny, I
> thought there were none -- with sensitivity due to codecs.  Transport
> streams is transport streams.  Either you get the transport stream, or
> you
> don't.
>
> Codecs are one (or more, if you count adaptation headers as a layer)
> above
> (or below, if you prefer) the transport stream.
>
> In other words, if you got a signal before, you are as likely to gete
> the
> signal later.

My phrasing was not accurate enough, i am afraid.

The transport stream will be received just the same , all right.
However, the group of bits wiped out by a given impulse will represent a
greater amount of picture information, since compression is higher.
Therefore, a given RF problem will cause a greater amount of visual
damage with AVC. If it is part of a bigger HDTV picture, though, perhaps
the relative impact will be the same.

No system is perfect, but it is a shame not to leave opened all the
options available in a given standard. With built-in time interleave,
supposing it could be adjusted on the fly like the other COFDM
parameters, we would have had another card up our sleeve to fight
potential reception problems. Too bad it has been overlooked or
rejected.

I should not complain too much as it works for me. But of course only
large scale statistics are meaningful to assess the overall performance.
I don't know where reliable ones would be available for UK, or
preferably for some other 8K european country. One thing is : if it
didn't work good enough for a majority of people, bad word-of-mouth
would likely have killed it long before it could have reached its
present development state.