[opendtv] Re: Rochester Responders Tuning in Datacasts

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:31:43 -0500

>if it was based on ACAP (now an ATSC and SCTE standard, hence almost
universal in the U.S.), he told me and the assembled engineers the
answer was no.

> So, you see, it's really a dead-end IP plan looking for victims, er,
customers.

> Kon Wilms wrote
> Yeah, they finally figured it out after 6 years. Also, they don't use
existing emergency alerting standards like Common Alerting Protocol or
Emergency Data Exchange Language.

Yes, we actually pushed for CAP for this, but I think it was ignored. So
its not like they weren't aware of the standards. And if this is indeed
still flat text files then.. good luck getting funded and actually
interoperating with systems like DMIS or any of the other dozens of
CAP-compliant systems out there. If it grows and has to take input from
real systems it is going to need to be standards-compliant. Info on CAP
is here http://xml.coverpages.org/ni2004-02-26-a.html for anyone
interested.

There is absolutely no reason to be datacasting flat text files or
sending video-only streams when decision support and realtime first
responder systems exist that deliver these messages. Build a good
receiver with mapping and other data already on it, CAP support, and
simply feed it CAP alerts, low-bitrate ancillary streams, images and
other data that has been munged into the CAP format. You can do this in
realtime on a 50kbps link.

Cheers
Kon