[opendtv] Re: Rochester Responders Tuning in Datacasts

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 19:33:13 +0000 (GMT+00:00)

Let's see; the article is clearly pre-NAB hype.  This time of year, the trade
pubs seem to always come up with new electronic newsletters to push such crap,
and I have to block them, since I only signed on for one newsletter (and have
gotten dozens).

When I saw an extremely brief sample (something like 30 seconds in a three hour
meeting) of this at a Triveni seminar last year, I asked a proud Gomer Thomas
of Triveni if it was based on ACAP (now an ATSC and SCTE standard, hence almost
universal in the U.S.), he told me and the assembled engineers the answer was
no.

So, you see, it's really a dead-end IP plan looking for victims, er, customers.

The user interface was very reminiscent of WebTV.  They may talk about LCD
screens, but the system doesn't use half the potential of the screens. And,
isn't it a pull model in a field where emergency notifications need push?

John Willkie

Kon Wilms wrote
Yeah, they finally figured it out after 6 years. Also, they don't use existing
emergency alerting standards like Common Alerting Protocol or Emergency Data
Exchange Language.

Cheers
Kon