[opendtv] Re: Report: Streaming Video Up, Live TV Down in Q2 | Broadcasting & Cable

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 02:06:04 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

Nothing here suggests that even 23% of TV is no viewed via the
Internet,

Dig up that figure again, Craig, and read what that number applies to. I've
spoonfed you enough on that one.

"From 6 p.m. to 6 a.m., TV accounts for at least half of all media use."

I explained to Craig that it was likely that Internet streaming
now accounts for 50% or more of daily video consumption? I guess
he missed it.

Not sure what all media use is, but watching a TV, not
streaming is 50%

So, let me recreate what that whole argument was about, Craig. This was when
you were insisting, as you typically do with no proof, that the Internet was
"decades" away from being able to carry TV to the masses. Remember now? That
Internet streaming amounted to 5% of daily consumption of video.

And, with plenty of recent stats, I showed you that on the contrary, the
Internet today was already carrying likely more than 50% of the video, which
includes TV material, that people consume daily.

Surprise! This article says the same thing!

I also did the numbers for you about how much actual TV content was being
consumed by people over the Internet, daily, as opposed to your MPEG-2 TS
broadcast streams. And the number is certainly more than 30%.

In the homes with the most streaming activity in Nielsen's
cross-platform sample, TV viewing was above average. The
20% of homes with the most streaming people spend an
average of 24.4 minutes a day streaming on a PC.

Once again, since I already covered all of this, and since we have seen way
more detailed stats on this, how much streaming is going on to other than a PC?
How much TV sent over Roku, over cell phones, over connected TVs, over other
streaming services that don't involve "a PC"? How much streaming of TV is going
over IPTV nets? Over TVE?

They spend 248.4 minutes watching TV.

Over what kind of device, using what distribution protocol, using what source?

Please try reading this stuff...

It's really amazing how we go over all of this in great detail, and yet Craig
latches on again, to a much vaguer article, and forgets all that came before.