[opendtv] Re: Report: 3 out of 4 TV Viewers Switch On and Go Straight To The "Guide"

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 16:01:13 -0500

The "Guide"
From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 09:41:57 -0500
Thursday, December 6, 2007

-------------------------------
http://www.smartbrief.com/news/ctam/industryBW-detail.jsp?id=46705EB3-CD
12-4567-AFCD-F007F9F2D430

3 out of 4 TV Viewers Switch On and Go Straight To The "Guide"

According to a national study by Lieberman Research Worldwide, for
Gemstar-TV Guide International and Comcast Spotlight, Interactive
Programming Guides (IPG's) are considered a necessity for viewing and a
valuable medium for entertainment marketers. At least eight out of ten
i-Guide users (the industry's most widely-deployed IPG) agree that they
always use their IPG to find what to watch and their IPG is a necessity
for their viewing experience.

The study shows that the majority of i-Guide users say:

- That their IPG makes them aware of programs they didn't know about, is
the best information source about TV programs and episodes, and enhances
their overall TV viewing experience

- That they use their IPG when they first sit down to watch TV, when a
new program begins, during commercial breaks and when they're bored with
what they're watching

[ ... ]
--------------------------------

I actually made good use of PSIP last Sunday, one of the very few times.

My printed-out table from zap2it.com had expired, so I tried PSIP around
noon or so. It showed programs out to 1:30 to 2:00 AM Monday. Depending
on station. So I could set up the recording session for that evening,
but that's it.

The nice thing about the Accurian and Digital Stream boxes is that they
pick up info for all stations, not just the one you're tuned to at the
time. The not so nice thing is that it takes time to download all the
info, and this is not done ahead of time and stored.

Guess I must be one of those 1 out of 4 who almost never calls up the
IPG.