[opendtv] Re: Receiver costs too expensive in the Brazilian DTV system:

  • From: flyback1 <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 19:51:11 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

So you agree that Cliff's issues are with MPEG-2 compression?

I've seen macroblocking and mosquito noise on every digital cable channel, DirecTV and Dish as well as OTA,
digital tape and DVDs.
No system is immune to the unadvertised and whispered problems of digitized television images. If it were just an ATSC problem why are the artifiacts visible in all digital sources, no matter how they get to my TV?

It's not about better quality images, its ALL about more channels in less bandwidth to make more money.
That's all it is about.