[opendtv] Re: Receiver costs too expensive in the Brazilian DTV system:

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 21:14:10 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

Maybe. But I'd wager you probably CAN fit two 720p/60 channels
into 19.4 mbps with AVC for anything except two 60 fps fast moving
sporting events at the same time.

But you can do the same thing with MPEG-2. Slow-moving scenes at 720/60p should not take up appreciably more bandwidth than similar scenes at 24p. You can use more predictive and interpolated frames with the 720/60p than with the 24p, so it becomes efficient for slow motion.

And we know that 720/24p can fit in 9-10 Mb/s. The difference, I'll bet you a lot of bread, is that you will notice somewhat *fewer* artifacts, on average, with H.264, but it would not be "this is fine, this is unwatchable." It is a matter of shades of gray.