[opendtv] Re: Receiver costs too expensive in the Brazilian DTV system:

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 18:46:09 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

But how much of the extra cost is MPEG-4? That should be quite an
advantage in the long run. Or did the MPEG-4 folks finally end up
pricing it mostly out of the market? I stopped following that part.

I think you guys continue to overstate the H.264 "advantage," but that aside, Brazil has been very clear from the start about their interest in developing local content for their DTV system. They've long been keen on developing their local industries. And if they didn't go this route, then what would have been the point of choosing ISDB? The whole point of that choice was that the Japanese were willing to support this local content infusion by Brazil.

So all that new middleware is not considered a "cost" as much as it is considered a vehicle for promoting Brazilian industry and academia. Call it a social program, if that helps.

http://www.icmc.usp.br/~verao/MCEC/material/tvdigital.pdf

states in slide 8:

Reducing the Social Divide:

? Digital Inclusion => Social Inclusion

And in slide 22:

A industry policy will be
established to reduce final
cost and promote local
developing

? Ex.
? 38K Java programmers

Possibly some other South American countries don't see the advantage of promoting Brazil's industry and academia by selecting SBTVD, but I think it's missing the point to say that Brazil didn't choose the cheapest alternative. That was never their intent.

My bet is that if an external element, such as H.264 compression, proves to be too expensive, it will be no big deal at all for Brazil to put that off to the future. Selecting H.264 is a natural thing to do if you're starting with a clean sheet of paper, but it certainly is not key to meeting their social goals.

BTW, just for comparison, WETA-DT seems quite capable of fitting one 1080i and three SD streams in a single 19 Mb/s multiplex, using MPEG-2 compression. I don't think we're dealing with the sort of determinism some people assume.