[opendtv] [RE: opendtv] Latest 5th Gen (recalling what Groucho Marx used to say...)

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 07:46:17 -0500

At 3:43 AM -0500 3/22/05, dmenolan wrote:
>I think this fiasco can be traced back to NIHS, early misconceptions abou=
>t COFDM, the incompetence of the FCC, ignorance on the part of politician=
>s who believe lobby groups, the lack of independent testing, and we shoul=
>d never underestimate the cockup theory of history.

You still don't get it Dermot.

The DTV transition in the U.S. has NEVER been about building
something that works.

It started as a means to protect the spectrum occupied by
broadcasters who have been granted one of the most lucrative
franchises ever granted by a government. When technical evolution
reared its ugly head the problem was compounded. Rather than
protecting the spectrum, it became the vehicle for politicians to
have their cake and eat it too;...

Why would broadcasters choose a technology that actually works? A
technology that actually improves spectral efficiency, making it
possible to build a terrestrial broadcast infrastructure that can
compete with subscription multi-channel services.

>As Groucho Marx used to say: 'That's another fine mess you have got me in=
>!'

Did you ever see the movie "Pulp Fiction?"

Powerful "industries" have ways to clean up the messes they make!