[opendtv] [RE: opendtv] Latest 5th Gen (recalling what Groucho Marx used to say...)

  • From: dmenolan <dmenolan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Open DTV list <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 03:43:28 -0500

Hi Bob,

Thanks for this. This cuts through all the crap being spouted by a number=
 of people on this list. Mentioning no names!. These vendors are not stup=
id: they have already concluded that it is too costly to make working rec=
eivers with good indoor reception via 8VSB. The reasons for this are the =
high BOM cost, the high tuner selectivity required, the very low level of=
 demand for 8VSB STBs, the high R+D costs and the absence of a commercial=
ly marketed DTV system in the US. the majority of the US public are cable=
 and satellite so they will have concluded: who cares? Then the ATSC offe=
r will simply be a dirtcheap 8VSBdemod/tuner etc  to 'go through the DTV =
motions'(exactly as forecast by Frank Eory on this reflector several year=
s ago.) You can also be sure that these very same vendors will be activel=
y pursuing COFDM solutions throughout the rest of the world as a) there a=
re markets aplenty b) it works c) the competition is very tough in the CO=
FDM STB world but d) there is a great deal of R+D and silicon development=
: especially the drive to COFDM digital SOC solutions (TI Hollywood chip,=
 hilariously the latest COFDM innovation is being  brought to market by a=
 US company etc..)

I think this fiasco can be traced back to NIHS, early misconceptions abou=
t COFDM, the incompetence of the FCC, ignorance on the part of politician=
s who believe lobby groups, the lack of independent testing, and we shoul=
d never underestimate the cockup theory of history.

As Groucho Marx used to say: 'That's another fine mess you have got me in=
!'

Kind Regards,

Dermot Nolan

From:   INTERNET:opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, INTERNET:opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To:     , INTERNET:opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        =

Date:   22/03/105 07:45 PM

RE:     [opendtv] Latest 5th Gen

 =

Talked to LG and my other manufacturer in Korea at length.

LG is not making STB's with their 5th generation chip because the cost =

of making them is to high relative to the price they can charge. The =

cost is in the HD decoder area. They are working on reducing that cost. =

They expect to have low cost converters, SD only, by the end of next =

year. These converters will be capable of HD but will not output it. I =

asked if that means they will also have inexpensive HD receivers by then =

and did not get an answer.

The receiver that I tested last week is not sensitive enough. LG is =

working on improving that now with the other manufacturer. One =

difference I was told between the prototype we tested last summer and =

the one we tested last week was that the 5th gen chip was not in the =

tuner in the prototype. This recent receiver was the latest tuner card =

from LG Innotech and the 5th gen chip was in the tuner. .

They are working with my other manufacturer and I will tell you getting =

them to make this receiver will be hard. No one seems that interested in =

8-VSB STB's. Maybe I should start taking names of those who want one so =

we can asses demand.

Really sort of strange that the two biggest critics of 8-VSB in this =

huge country, Sinclair Broadcasting and myself are the ones showing the =

most interest in a decent 8-VSB receiver. The FCC is doing nothing that =

I know of. Congress is ignoring the subject entirely convinced that it =

does not exist. The manufacturer that stands to make the most from 8-VSB =

and one of the only ones making an 8-VSB receiver at all declines to =

make the first decent one because of cost.

I still remember the shock that I experienced when I found out that =

people were attacking Sinclair over COFDM. We had just come back from =

Europe where we had met with a number of companies about COFDM and had =

been really impressed with the level of activity around it. We thought =

we had this big secret that for some unfathomable reason US broadcasters =

had not discovered yet.

I still cannot comprehend the unreality of it all. It simply does not =

make sense that this is happening in the US. How can we as a country act =

this stupid? And it goes on. I have not been quiet about my attitude =

toward LG and 8-VSB in talking to anyone there including those who =

developed the 5th generation chip. I have told them we more than prefer =

COFDM, we intensely dislike 8-VSB.

Would you believe they are sending a TV crew and reporters to interview =

us on our opinion about 8-VSB and their 5th generation receiver? They =

are, next week.

Bob Miller
 =

 =