[opendtv] Re: QuickTime Player on Windows

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 13:16:09 -0800

Yes, the switch to Intel (which you variously said would never happen, nor
would never work) has increased Apple profit margins, and has helped them
increase their share of the computer market from minuscule to at least a
notch above.  They are still offered at a serious premium to comparable
wintel machines.

But, both profit margin and market share for computers is paled by both for
iTunes/iPod/iPhone, which have continuing revenue streams.

And, let me highlight something that you haven't picked up on.  iPods and
iPhones don't last.  Regular users tend to buy them again every year or so.
Lucy Kellaway of the FT just loves hers.  She reported on a BBC essay that
she has bought seven of them for her family, but only one works now, and
only in one channel.

Now, I don't want to 'excessively' pick on Apple in this regard.  I was a
full-frontal participant in the Walkman/etc revolution of the 1980's.  I
must have bought 20 of various ones, and found that they broke or
disappeared.  One fell from it's holder on the way home from the department
store, thankfully I was able to return it, but I was prepared to pay another
$200 for another one.

But, iPod users find out when they try to repair something that new units
cost less than replacement parts, and this without excessively highlighting
the effects of serious price decreases.

People don't tend to rent computer hardware.  The same cannot be said for
iPod/iTunes/iPhone.

John Willkie