[opendtv] Re: Popular screen aspect ratios

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 15:03:00 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> So, now you assume that a "digital" TV is 16:9? Interesting.
>
> Not necessarily. I am assuming that the external box is going
> to output a widescreen signal; AND I am assuming that the
> display will deal with aspect ratio accommodation.

Yes, you are, Craig. You just don't realize it. What does some generic,
undefined "widescreen format" offer you? Nothing at all. The decoder still
needs to know how wide vs how high, and your vague words don't come close. For
example, some might argue that 4:3 is also "wide screen," as far as your vague
words go.

*If* the box always outputs SPECIFICALLY a 16:9 signal, *or* a 2:1 signal, *or*
some other precise and standardized ratio, then what you say makes sense. It is
that PRECISE information that the ATSC was going for, and both you and the FCC
totally missed the point. And still do!

> I have had both 4:3 and 16:9 Digital TVs; for both the cable box
> setting is the same; dittos for the DVD player.

This can ONLY be true if:

(1) The interface provides the STB with the details of the display, which
CLEARLY the analog interfaces common in the 1990s did not do, or

(2) There is only one standard agreed-upon STB output signal from analog
interfaces, which assumes a particular aspect ratio. This is what the ATSC
wanted.

Alternatively, Craig, someone else was setting up the system for you, and you
didn't know what they had done. Really, I don't understand how you continue to
resist the obvious. Nor do I understand how you can possibly continue to argue
against "standards."

> Rubbish. The underlying MPEG-2 standard has everything necessary to
> deal with automated aspect ratio accommodation for ANY format.

Not this bogus argument again!

MPEG-2 decoding is upstream, for the umpteenth time. Lacking the two way
interface to the display, the MPEG decoder knows NOTHING AT ALL about the
display, so IT CANNOT ACCOMMODATE ANYTHING. It either has to be told, manually,
or it has to assume that all displays want the same decoded signal (e.g. 16:9).
How can you not see this?

> Which Dell model did you buy? I just looked up the Insperion 580
> and it says it comes with HDMI.

I bought the 580s. The version I bought does not come with the additional HDMI
video card. I can always go and buy one. There are four PCI slots available. My
LG has RGB and HDMI (and composite, Y/C, and component), but no DVI. But, why
bother?