[opendtv] Re: Popular screen aspect ratios

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 11:47:53 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> There are about 100,000,000 iPhones and iPod Touches in use today
> with 3.5 inch 1.66:1 displays. Most smartphones use a similar
> screen aspect ratio.
>
> There are about 10,000,000 iPads in use today with 9.7 inch 1.33:1
> displays. This is the fastest selling "media player" in history - of
> course it does many other things as well.
>
> Form follows function. Displaying video is one of those functions.
>
> Bert lives in a world where a TV display has only one function -
> displaying widescreen video.

Nope. You made that same argument years ago, about PC displays. I told you
then, and you cannot deny now, that PC displays are no longer 4:3. They
migrated almost universally to 16:10, following the lead of PCs. For some
reason, you had failed to predict this would happen.

But again, the main problem here is not the fine points of different wide
screen formats. The problem is that your "no standards" approach has resulted
in retention of 4:3 transmissions when they make no sense at all.

The iPad is perhaps one of the mistakes that this omission has created. It
should have been wide screen too. Especially because it can easily be turned to
display portrait or lanscape.