[opendtv] Re: Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 11:46:40 -0400

Mark Aitken wrote:

> Not that one. I have a FujiPlus and Artec. The Artec has been 'buggy'
> (software issues I think), but the Fuji unit works OK under modest
> conditions.

Here are some comments on the DVB-T version of the Pinnacle, as well as
one called the ElGato (the cat?). A couple of the DVB-T comments
mentioned the need for a good "aerial," or to stand on top of a tall
building. Only the last comment refers to an ATSC unit.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/22/pinnacle-pctv-usb-stick-puts-digital-
tv-on-your-screen/1#comments

"The only problem with these smaller mobile tuners is the need for a
decent aerial. The ones supplied are often not good enough to pick up
any kind of decent signal, making the mobile nature of these devices
somewhat pointless."

"The theory behind these USB DVB is great - HOWEVER - the signal is very
poor and not worth using indoors. For best results, find your nearest
tall building, climb to the roof, drag some comfy seating together,
power up and tune in - brace yourself for the wind. Otherwise, you might
prefer to just sit at home and watch the TV like everyone else."

"There is a mac compatible one - the Miglia TVMini (with ElGato's EyeTV
software). Same comments about the aerial apply."

"There is something available like this in the US and for Mac's. It's
from Elgato. Mine just came in and it works great! Free HDTV never
tasted so good. If you like in the UK, they also have a DVB-T tuner."