[opendtv] Re: Pace 'turns the corner' and returns to profit

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 17:30:33 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Not the same at all. Take a closer look at what they are calling
> High Power levels. The truth is that they have a distributed
> transmission infrastructure and will use SFNs to fill in the gaps.

What is "higher power"? I didn't see any numbers. Did I miss them?

The DTT multiplexes from Crystal Palace now are 20 KW apiece.
Apparently, even at 16-QAM, this is not enough to achieve the same
coverage as the analog 1 MW.

So if higher power means ~200 KW ERP when moving up to 64-QAM, the next
logical step up, that would put it on a par with many US UHF
transmitters, and higher power than many in the US too.

Perhaps they'll do something like Berlin. Their high power channels are
on two closely spaced towers, one at 120 KW and another at 50 KW ERP.
This is not quite what you're describing, but it is an SFN. Does not
help distant coverage, though, compared to a 170 KW big stick.

> Nobody is taking away the Freeview advantage - they are extending
> it in much the same way that I have advocated for the U.S. market.
>
> What BSkyB is doing is leveraging the Freeview platform to deliver
> additional paid TV programming. This is no different than the
> TopUpTV tier that is available in the U.K. now.

How is it different from USDTV?