[opendtv] Re: Pace 'turns the corner' and returns to profit

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 15:13:13 -0500

On 2/8/07, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob Miller wrote:

> In dealing with Pace in 2001 and later they stated
> their then business plan as one of getting out of
> maturing product lines. At that time they saw
> themselves as a middle level producer and didn't want
> to compete with the big boys when they started
> becoming dominant. They emphatically wanted nothing
> to do with 8-VSB under any circumstances.

If they deliberately got out of DVB-T, for the reasons Craig mentioned,
obviously they would also stay out of ATSC. For some inexplicable
reason, you focus on staying out of ATSC, and not on their fundamental
goal. Which is why your explanations sound so fantastic.

It was not an explanation. Pace was the only company to come to the
House witness table in 2000 and argue against 8-VSB. I was making a
statement of fact. Pace wanted nothing to do with 8-VSB in 2000 under
any circumstances. Their actions since underline that.

Pace wants to make money. They position themselves very carefully in
the cycle of products. I was only making a comment on their business
plan which I did not understand but which I am a bit in awe of.

What I am saying is that I think they are a very smart and nimble
company. You have to be in their business. When the US stayed the
course in 2000 with 8-VSB they and every other company like them
dismissed the biggest and richest market in the world out of hand.
There was NO controversy. The only companies left in the field were
those that also produced TV sets AFAIK.

Bob Miller

The most cogent comment in all of this is what Craig said at the very
end of his post:

Craig wrote:

> Broadcasters don't give a rat's ass about fee-to-air DTV.
> They WANT you to subscribe to a multi-channel TV service
> so that they can collect subscriber fees. They want to be
> rid of you cheap bastards that expect TV to be "free."
>
> The multichannel services provide incentives for consumer
> electronics retailers to promote their services.
> Broadcasters DO NOT.
>
> Broadcasters do not have a business model built around a
> platform that can generate additional revenue streams. To
> do that they would need to be competitive with the
> multichannel services. Way too much trouble, when they can
> use the force of government to make competitors generate
> new revenue streams for them.

Why this Freeview model works in Europe, even as the Paces bail out, is
a bit of a mystery. But as I said before, with the FCC mandates, OTA TV
in some form will survive here.