[opendtv] Re: PR: Analog Devices' JPEG2000 IC Enables Wireless High-Definition Video Distribution in the Home

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:56:08 -0400

Craig,

Bert is confusing a production compression scheme with an emission
compression scheme.  Easy to do since he has no video production experience.

For editing, your first choice is to use uncompressed video files.  Barring
that, your second choice is the mildest compression you have room to store,
to use a 4:2:2 color space, and to use an intraframe (I frame only)
compression method to allow easy shuttling of the video back and forward and
to allow marking any point as an edit point.  This is where wavelets come
into play.

Interframe editing has come a long way in the past few years, but almost all
good systems use at least 25 Mbps and up to 100 Mbps for HD material, and
uses short GOP lengths.

After the program is completed, then it can be encoded in an emission format
consisting of 4:2:0 color space and long GOP at low bitrates.

John