[opendtv] Re: PR: Analog Devices' JPEG2000 IC Enables Wireless High-Definition Video Distribution in the Home

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:00:23 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> Craig,
>
> Bert is confusing a production compression scheme with
> an emission compression scheme.  Easy to do since he
> has no video production experience.

John,

It might be easy to confuse production with emission
compression schemes, but of course production was never
being discussed in this thread. This was just someone
wanting to go on constant transmit mode, arguing points
that had never been made.

Here is what I was responding to, and you can tell me
where the "production" discussion comes in:

"JPEG2000 compresses each frame independently, so that
transmission errors affect only a single frame, and do
not propagate through subsequent images. Because there
is no inter-frame processing, end-to-end latency is very
low. This is important in many applications, like
wireless gaming, where the character on the display
needs to react as soon as the controller is moved, ..."

What they state above is not exclusive to JPEG2000. It
is also true with M-JPEG, which has been around for
years. (And parenthetically, just as MPEG adopted the
same DCT-based compression algorithm as JPEG for its I
frames, a similar approach could be taken by MPEG for a
next generation algorithm, where I frames are computed
with a DWT instead of a DCT.)

What was discussed in that original PR piece was not
"production," but rather an M-JPEG-like approach to
distribute video in homes, over short range UWB links.
It so happens they use a motion version of JPEG2000
instead of M-JPEG.