[opendtv] Re: OTA DTV experience

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 18:43:44 -0800

I doubt that cable systems drop local channels because they promote OTA
availability.

Why?  Well, cable carries broadcast stations (within their market) either if
the station elects must-carry or if they reach a retrans agreement.

If they were to drop a station that elected must-carry, that would be
serious FCC trouble (remember Time-Warner NYC learned this in an expensive
way.)

If the station was carried pursuant to a retrans agreement and dropped a
station because of promotion of OTA, they would end up with a breach of
contract suit, possible anti-trust investigation, and possibly FCC trouble.
If the agreement was reached between the parties that the station wouldn't
promote OTA to reach an agreement, that raises serious public-policy issues.

The allusion was made here some time back that at least one cable system (I
smelled C**c**t) threatened to drop flights of commercials on broadcast
station(s) if the stations continued to promote OTA reception.

I smelled anti-trust/restraint of trade in that one.

By the way, these attitudes among cablers is somewhat unique in the U.S.;
vendors I have talked to say they find it nowhere else in the world.
Perhaps time will change that.

John Willkie

  _____