[opendtv] Re: Notes On TV [Apple Inc., Google Inc, Netflix, Inc.] - Seeking Alpha

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 01:47:57 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> Allowing me to stream from Hulu, Amazon, cbs.com, and ANYWHERE else,
>> is hardly proof of collusion, Craig. My old AM/FM tuner manufacturer
>> did not have to collude with any of the radio station groups, nor
>> does Microsoft.
>
> You are talking about two things here Bert. Support for technical
> standards, and support for business models for a new medium that can
> deliver ANYTHING that can be represented with bits. People built
> radios because they delivered a service via a technical standard;
> the device manufacturer only had to allow you to tune to any
> frequency. A web connected device can do many things, some of which
> are freely accessible by anyone, and some of which are protected and
> exclusive.

Now tell me Craig, what how do your words address the point? I was answering to
you that Microsoft (and for that matter Dell) DID NOT have to collude with
anyone to allow me to watch TV from any number of sites. Your words did not
explain that Microsoft had to collude.

What was your point? Apple wants to collude with Comcast, Microsoft didn't have
to collude with anyone. Yes, for the time being, I can't watch "exclusive" MVPD
content without a subscription. But if I did have a subscription to an MVPD, I
would STILL not need that device born from collusion. I could use any old PC or
tablet to get the IP stream from the MVPD.

HBO is offered now, outside walled gardens, in Scandinavia. The "exclusive"
content owners are paying attention, Craig.