[opendtv] Re: Notes On TV [Apple Inc., Google Inc, Netflix, Inc.] - Seeking Alpha

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 01:51:11 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> This is a marketplace decision Bert. You are ok with a desktop
> interface to your TV. The reality is that most people ARE NOT.

Comment 1: no reason why the information available from the web can't be
displayed in some "more TV-like" format, without having to block out
practically the entire Internet. If NO OTHER way, then make the few Hulu and
Netflix sites "easier" to digest, while leaving the rest of the web sites as is.

Comment 2: evidently, Craig, people ARE happy with the standard UI. Else,
kludged up solutions like AirPlay and Chromecast wouldn't exist. These kludges
are needed only because the STB vendors can't seem to do what's obvious, and
people want to take matters into their own hands.

> You can choose to remain anchored in another era.

You really think that the PCs we have at home, and the tablet, can't
intercommunicate? How odd! Figures, though, that an Apple user thinks
everything has to come from the same company to play together.

> The rest is all about Business Models - there are many ways to
> use the Internet to build ecosystems and content silos. Welcome
> to the 21st Century Bert.

Sorry, Craig, but vague broad brush concepts don't fly. The "business model" of
distribution networks does not have to limit the "business model" of equipment
manufacturers. Just because Comcast might prefer TV vendors to NOT support web
browsing, because that gives us users "too much freedom," does NOT mean that
the TV vendors have to salute "aye aye."

I'm just stating the obvious. Should be obvious.