[opendtv] Re: News: Remote-Sensing Devices Fail FCC White Spaces Test

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 08:35:53 -0400

At 8:11 PM -0400 8/6/07, Tom Barry wrote:
Maybe I just live and work under a cell tower or something but I have never had any trouble with Sprint PCS here in Gainesville. I've been surprised I almost always had at least a couple bars. But I am boring and never go anywhere so I can't say I've really paid attention at many locations. I'd say overall my cell reception has been at least as good as, and probably better than, either Detroit or Jacksonville. In both of those cities there were places where I'd just expect lousy reception and I don't know of any of those here.

I even get decent reception in the lab at work, indoors surrounded by dozens of computers and video servers. I'll have to look to see where the towers are.

Sprint may have good coverage in Gainesville, but they are a pain in the ass to deal with. I was a Nextel customer when Sprint acquired them - talk about changes in latitudes and changes in attitudes...

Nextel had severe capacity issues in the area where I live. It got so bad that I could barely use the service; their response was to give me more free minutes which were mostly useless. They finally sited a new tower to the west of me and the problems mostly cleared up. But I moved to Cingular anyway. I still have issues in MANY parts of town with reception, especially in big building like Lowes, Best Buy and grocery stores.