[opendtv] Re: News: Remote-Sensing Devices Fail FCC White Spaces Test

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 15:23:36 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> - The DTV transition has been a disaster;
> - Spectrum auctions have been thwarted;
> - The cable MSOs and telcos fought off the legislated effort to allow
> companies to connect to their broadband networks and sell competing
> services.
> - The cable industry has ignored effort to open up the market for their
> set top boxes;
> - Attempts to open the cellular industry via spectrum auctions have failed.
>
> So PLEASE, don't try to sell me on the idea that the government can do
> it better than the marketplace. We need less gerrymandering with the
> markets, not more.

To me this just shows that those people owning information distribution channels will go to great lengths to ensure no new competition also gets to own information distribution channels. The various government agencies supposed to regulate such things have been long since co-opted by the supposed regulees.

I would assume that those folks owning & controlling information distribution channels now will also manage to own & control most of any spectrum they can't otherwise manage to keep out of government auctions.

- Tom

Hey, if TV broadcasting were as wasteful of spectrum as celluar is, we'd
have a real mess on our hands. When was the last time you had to buy a
TV set specific to one of many OTA TV services? I've never had to do
that.

Not a problem. The government only allows one privileged group the right to broadcast TV; and "THEY" mandate the standards for broadcasting. At least, up until now.

Having multiple system operators and standards for cellular telephony in the U.S. may have some down sides, but inefficient use of the spectrum is not one of them. I am very upset about the fact that the government has allowed the cellular market to operate as an oligopoly with business practices reminiscent of old Ma Bell. But the solution to this problem is not more government regulation, but rather real competition.

The rules for bidding and use of the 700 MHz spectrum will be very important. To this point, the incumbent phone companies have dominated the process of obtaining more spectrum via FCC auctions. They have circumvented rules intended to keep them from contending for what is a very scarce resource - UHF band spectrum. The potential exists to create real competition for wireless services, but history suggests that the existing cellular operators will find a way to get control of that spectrum, no matter how the rules are written.

At least now, competitors with the resources to compete with the telcos could get enough spectrum to help bust the telecommunications trust. But who is to say that Google, Apple, Microsoft, Intel, Cisco, Sun, Oracle, et al, will succeed, and what THEY might do with us if they become a serious competitor in the market to deliver broadband bits.

There is a point at which wasteful industries need to make whatever
compromises they deserve, for their own wastefulness. There is a reason
why the various Verizons, Sprints, Nextels, AT&Ts of the US cellular
industry must each have their own RF allocations, and that reason is
revenues to them. Not because this is the most efficient way to divvy up
spectrum. I'm pretty sure that a common RF infrastructure for cellular
service would save quite a bit of spectrum.

It may be inefficient to have multiple networks operating in a bunch of bands, some less friendly to cellular service than other. But the spectrum is NOT being used inefficiently. Networks are operating at very high traffic levels and the industry is constantly increasing capacity to keep up with demand. The result is that we have a fairly dense mesh of transmitters, and many cells in urban areas are saturated. And the service is not reliable indoors, especially for those operators using frequencies above 1 GHz.

There is another reality about cellular which you conveniently ignore. The industry has created a support infrastructure where most of the transmission facilities are leased to companies that operate the networks, typically maintaining all of the networks. this is very close to the spectrum utility idea I have been discussing.

What the telcos lack is the ability to optimize traffic across multiple networks in a dynamic fashion. Even that is possible with handsets that support multiple standards...and now we are talking about adding OFDM and Mobile VSB for video as well. Even this kind of optimization, however, will not solve the basic problem - more spectrum is needed in urban areas to handle the number of simultaneous users during peak periods. The good news is that this capacity can be added to the existing transmission sites and in new sites in urban areas to increase the density of the mesh.

So, let's just agree that TV broadcasters aren't the worst offenders. As
far as I'm concerned, it's not govt anything that keeps OTA TV less than
great here. It is instead the deals made between broadcasters and
umbillical services, which are ALLOWED, rather than prohibited, by the
govt. We could have a super Freeview system here. It's only broadcasters
that need to make it happen.

You are simply not pointing your finger in the right direction.

Perhaps someday broadcasters will realize that they are no longer needed by the conglomerates. For now, however, they still have a very sweet deal, and the prospect of additional subscriber fee revenues from cable and DBS. The market here is shaped by the cozy relationship between the politicians and the regulated. The 1996 Telecom Act is a perfect example. Most of this bill was written by the affected industries. Hardly ANY of the attempts to legislate desired outcomes have worked.

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx