[opendtv] Re: News: Remote-Sensing Devices Fail FCC White Spaces Test

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 09:34:22 -0400

 Hmmmm... has anyone ever mentioned that BROADCASTERS are
 responsible for MASSIVE INTERFERENCE with citizens rights
 to use a valuable public resource for the most productive
 purposes?

By the way, not to forget that the FCC results I pointed out yesterday
were unrelated entirely to OTA TV transmissions. It actually surprised
me too, but the interference was between these "white space" devices and
TVs connected to *cable* systems.

Even if there were no OTA broadcasting, those results would still
pertain.

Interference is interference. Cable is just spectrum inside a somewhat protected wire. This is why the cable guys must maintain their systems to prevent spurious emissions.

The more important question here is the relevance of these tests. Clearly the tested devices were not able to operate using the parameters that the FCC is considering in this proceeding. Specifically, the device(s) tested could not properly detect an existing service on the frequency they used.

One must ask about the integrity of this test, just as we had to ask about the MSTV and FCC tests of COFDM versus 8-VSB. Me thinks that this could be another example of an effort to kill an idea based on questionable testing methodology.

To be honest, the FCC is incapable of dealing with issues like this. They do not have the staff or resources to do a competent job of managing one of our most valuable national resources. The DTV standard is a prime example.

It was far easier for the FCC to allow DTV to be based on the same planning factors as the NTSC service it is to replace, than to require that broadcasters develop a new standard that would use the spectrum efficiently while offering new and enhanced services. The notion that the DTV service was to be optimized for fixed receivers with 30 ft outdoor antennas demonstrates just how out of touch the FCC was and still is when it come to management of the spectrum.

This, as we develop new ATSC standards to allow broadcasters to serve mobile, portable and hand held devices.