[opendtv] Re: News: NEW BLOOD ; THE NETWORKS' FALL SHOWS FACE AN UPHILL BATTLE WITH MIGHTY CABLE

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:06:21 -0700

You only heard of broadcast TV reruns this summer?

Then, you are somewhat ignorant of what broadcast TV has offered recently.
Fox premiered their fall season -- most of it -- during the summer.  I seem
to recall the Olympics taking up much time on NBC, but maybe that was a
repeat.  (If Boeing had owned a TV network, I'm sure that they would have
used government contracts to air original, high-quality, high-cost
programming against the Olympics.)

CBS, ISTR, aired a Big Brother and perhaps even a Survivor during the
summer; perhaps even more new shows. (Several which were new to me, and I
assume I'm not alone in missing first run episodes in the rush of life.)

ABC finished up airing (almost) the 13 episodes of Line Of Fire that it had
commissioned, and "pioneered" by airing on Sunday's "The Days" which was --
shades of 1950's -- produced by two advertisers and "sold" to ABC.  I don't
remember any new episodes of shows on the WB or UPN, so maybe those are the
only networks you watch in the yeasty DC TV market, but I tend to skew
towards networks that present shows that aren't beneath my age or (presumed)
intellect too much.

What makes it even more funny is that I haven't watched TV at home since
mid-April, and I'm at home at least 4 days in a week.  (I took the TV card
out of my computer until I release my software -- in short order.)

And, I don't pay extraordinary attention to what's on TV.  But, apparently,
I pay closer attention than you do.