[opendtv] Re: News: If There's a High-Definition TV in Your Future, Wait Till

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:50:51 -0400

If you're comparing film to high def video, you will never think that the film is sharp enough.

I've noticed over the years that when in a theater watching a movie, if a scene comes up that has a television in it, the image on the television is much sharper than the rest of the film. Film cameras don't have detail circuits, and we've been so brainwashed by seeing video with overenhanced edges that anything less looks soft.

The point about talented compressionists performing scene by scene compressing is that you rarely can find a still frame of a DVD with visible macroblocks.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Barry" <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>