[opendtv] Re: News: If There's a High-Definition TV in Your Future, Wait Till

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:37:19 -0400

I question that. I think most movies are still telecined using technology optimized for DVD and hardly get the detail or resolution needed to really show the advantage of highdef DVD. But some do.

- Tom

John Shutt wrote:
I think the point here is that most movies are so well processed by a compressionist that it's hard to tell the difference without such a side by side and frame by frame comparison.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Barry" <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Some (not all) highdef DVD's do now have enough resolution to take advantage of a large 1080p display if you are sitting close to it. For instance, see this King Kong shot:

<http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/80635/0/KKhddvd1.jpg>

There is a whole comparison thread on AVS at:
<http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=811102>

(many large images, very slow loading)

- Tom

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx