[opendtv] Re: News: If There's a High-Definition TV in Your Future, Wait Till

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:21:07 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> This is not surprising - the same companies did the same
> thing trying to sell us HDTV two decades ago. The demos
> in Washington ALWAYS made NTSC look like garbage, with
> terrible ghosts, high levels of noise, etc.

Perhaps, but it sounds like you're implying HDTV and NTSC are similar.

Now that we have all experienced the difference first hand, I think what
they were trying to get across "two decades ago" is easily demonstrable.
Most especially because TV sets have gotten to the size that is well
beyond what NTSC could do reasonably well. In my experience, anything
larger than even 25", for NTSC, was close to unacceptable.

There are some SD programs that are very much like NTSC sans ghost.

There are some SD programs that are very sharp, and look just about as
good as HDTV from 10' away on my 26" set.

Then there are varying degrees of HDTV, the best of which appear to be
live programs, for whatever reason. Getting up closer to the set does
not diminish their sharpness.