[opendtv] Re: News; Dish to Expand HD Roster, Offer 1080p Movies

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 08:22:51 -0400

At 10:57 AM -0400 8/4/08, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Craig Birkmaier wrote:

 The true limit is the way broadcasters think. They think they
 are in the business of delivering linear content to TV receivers,
 in fixed time slots, via a physical plant optimized for a
 "format."

Again, I have no idea what you're talking about.

May I suggest that you look at the TV listings in your newspaper.

The story was about DISH delivering a movie exactly the same way as a
DTT broadcasters would. In a time slot, in real time, in an HD format
that by the way broadcasters have always had as an option (at least from
the receivers' point of view).

No the story was about the move to attract new subscribers by the satcasters with a much wider range of HD content than is available via cable. The story tells us that DISH is playing catch-up with DirecTV, which already offers more than 100 channels of national HD programming. The story tells us that DISH will have 150 national HD channels by year end and that DirecTV will have 1340 nations channels sometime this month. The story tells us that DISH will offer an HD bundle for $24.95/mo.

And yes, the story tells us that DISH will offer HD near video on demand movies in 1080@24P encoded using h.264.

With only a few notable exceptions, broadcasters do not offer movies the same way that DorecTV and DISH do. Broadcasters "edit movies for objectionable content" and fill them with commercials. You are correct that broadcasters COULD use h.264...

but they do not for reasons so obvious that even Bert and W (Willkie) can understand them.

Whether that content is consumed in that same time slot or not is up to
the consumer, BOTH in the DISH network and in the DTT examples. The main
difference being, I can buy any recording device I please for the DTT
medium, but would be limited to renting the device in the DBS medium.

Time shifting is a planned activity; it is true that you can do this with any TV service. But broadcasters rely upon channel surfers for their primary audience, and they still employ a business model that seeks to get you to schedule appointments to watch your favorite shows.

 The rest of the world is moving toward a business model of
 delivering media files to consumers who will view them across
 a range of devices in multiple venues.

And this is what the article was about? I thought it was about DISH
delivering 1080p/24 HDTV, in a particular time slot. I think you are
extrapolating the contents of a story to fit into some completely
unrelated topic.

Sorry, for introducing two concepts into one e-mail message. I know that his must have been confusing.

Both the broadcasters and satcasters use a business model that relies primarily on your sitting down in your family room to watch TV. The multichannel services have trumped the broadcasters with quantity. Now they are moving to trump the HD offerings of broadcasters with quantity.

But the audience is moving toward asynchronous consumption of entertainment, except for a few live events like sports, including the upcoming Olympics. And the audience is moving toward place shifting, the ability to take their entertainment fix with them, in cars, on hand held devices, or to plug-in at a friends house. Rather than surfing hundreds of TV channels looking for something to watch, the audience is moving (albeit slowly) to a business model where they surf the web, searching for content they want to watch on demand.