[opendtv] Re: News; Dish to Expand HD Roster, Offer 1080p Movies

  • From: "Martin Holmes" <Martin.Holmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 23:10:56 +0100

For brevity and accuracy, you should use 23, 29 or 59 when referring to
delivery of television industry based content then.

I really want to discuss 1080 @ 59p. Not film, or filmic looking video
at 23 which works today in the existing infrastructure.  MPEG 2 allows
for repeat next field used to add 2:3 in the output of a suitably
equipped decoder or STB.  Making film or filmic looking materials at 59
involves the addition frame based 2:3 which does not utilize the
bandwidth efficiently (IMO) when the original source materials only
change at 23Hz.  Again use of 2:3 removal and flags to reinsert in the
decoder would be utilized.

Making 23p (filmic looking) from 29i (video) is very difficult indeed
and requires special hardware to do it in real time.

As a disclaimer, my mortgage is paid by a company that makes converters
of this ilk.  MH.

From: "Albert Manfredi" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

> So why aren't OTA broadcasters making a big to-do about this "full HD"

> they already have, that anyone can already use?
>
> Bert

This email and any attachments is confidential, may be legally privileged and
is intended for the use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended
recipient, please note that any use, disclosure, printing or copying of this
email is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If received in error, please
delete this email and any attachments and confirm this to the sender.