[opendtv] Re: News: DTV Converter Prices Plummet

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 21:47:16 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> As far as I can tell, the DTA is just like an OTA plain-jane STB, but
> with additional conditional access scheme built in. And since they are
> being provided by many vendors, I would expect that the CECB vendors
> could modify their boxes for QAM (which may already be available but
> disabled) and the appropriate scrambling technique?
>
> Why scramble when they could use clearQAM and benefit from all that
> hardware already in place?
>
> Greed, what else? It's what keeps the economy going.
>
> These DTAs provided by many vendors are, as far as the article
> suggested, only STBs. Will they allow PVRs to become built in, for
> example? No sign of that. They won't allow use of the EPG, or VOD. So
> they will be the quick and easy way to get everyone on digital while at
> the same time keeping away even basic stuff like time shift recording,
> which they could do before easily enough, unless they pay extra for it.
>
> I don't THINK that the cable companies get a kickback for each DTA sold,
> but that could potentially be another incentive.
>
> Bert

I think the scrambling is a way to discriminate between limited basic
and expanded basic or other tiers without the expensive truck roll to
keep changing filters.

And I think PVRs may become a bit more scarce since Tivo seems to be
morphing into a patent troll, suing everyone in sight right now.

- Tom