[opendtv] Re: News: DTV Converter Prices Plummet

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 17:14:47 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

Greed, what else? It's what keeps the economy going.

What greed? Renting an additional DTA at $24/year? The DTAs don't have two way communications, so they cannot be used for on demand services.

Why cripple all of the new flat screen televisions with Clear QAM tuners, and the DVD recorders with built in Clear QAM decoders? I saw a combo DVD/VHS recorder at Sam's Club for under $200 that had both ATSC and Clear QAM tuners included. I almost bought one, but not now. If I'm going to be stuck feeding it with a DTA, I may as well buy a simple DVD recorder sans tuner for under $75.

I don't THINK that the cable companies get a kickback for each DTA sold,
but that could potentially be another incentive.

Those DTAs are not for public sale. Comcast will be purchasing the DTAs from those vendors, and distributing them to their subscribers. The idea of ATSC STBs being reborn as Clear QAM STBs is now dead. Stupid.