[opendtv] Re: News: BSkyB advances HDTV launch

  • From: "Donald Koeleman" <donald.koeleman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:41:12 +0100

News Alert

BBC brings forward HDTV
"2008 Olympics is a great driver"

by Chris Forrester

The growing apparent enthusiasm for HDTV across Europe, and in the UK in
particular, has meant the BBC has looked urgently again at its HDTV
timetable. John Varney, the BBC's Chief Technology Officer, talking
exclusively to Inside Satellite, said: "Our thinking has changed in that we'
re asking ourselves how soon we might launch a HD service. We may be looking
at something relatively quickly."

Varney admitted there was much to be done, including absorbing 40 HD cameras
just purchased from Sony, as well as staff training. He also admitted that
the BBC's initial HD broadcasts "might not go to many people", but "Doing
this has come about because of the change in the consumer environment.
Domestic HD camcorders are now out there at £2000 and below, HD screens.. I
was in [electronics retailer] Comet a week ago and they've already got the
new Samsung 50" HD-DLP set with quite stunning images and much cheaper than
a Plasma. We're less than 18 months away from HD-DVD formats being widely
available. So, 18 months from now broadcast TV is going to look like the
poor relation. People will be able to shoot their holiday videos in HD, rent
Hollywood movies in HD, and we won't have a HD service."

The BBC's HD efforts will focus entirely on satellite for the time being.
"No decisions yet as to when, but we are mindful of Sky's plans for HD and
then there's our own Freesat platform, which would be an ideal place from
which to launch HD because the bandwidth is there, but no date has yet been
decided." Varney explained that despite sharing the rights (with the ITV
commercial network) for next year's upcoming soccer World Cup out of
Germany, it was unlikely that the BBC could show HD signals.

Varney explained that he has now been joined by the BBC's HDTV 'mentor' Andy
Quested, and together they are embarking on a series of internal training
and briefing sessions on HD.

Read the full interview in Inside Satellite; exclusive to subscribers

© 2005 Broadband TV News