[opendtv] Re: News: Apple's television could offer superior

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 15:52:06 -0600

Mike Tsinberg wrote:

> Maybe one of the new features of Apple Television will be wireless
> link with iPad or iPhone so any screen action is copied on the big
> screen.

Well, sure, but what you're basically offering here is a "connected TV" whose
"remote control" is more expensive than the TV. It's certainly possible for
consumers to have this option, but I don't think it's necessary to make iPad
ownership a prerequisite.

A remote pad-like device, not much different from my remote mouse, which can be
swiped like an iPad screen, should cost very little. Or, just give the consumer
a regular remote mouse. And the IP "tuner" built into the TV set should equally
not add very much to the price of the set, I don't think. Very much the same
arguments as back 10+ years ago, wrt digital "tuners."