[opendtv] Re: News: Apple, Google Asked to Pay Up as Operators Face Data

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:06:50 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Yes. In our county there is a cable board that must approve the fees.

Even if true, that doesn't seem to be a standard, Craig.

If a monopolistic service is inevitable, such as cable TV, power, water
distribution, I see no problem at all with regulated fees. But as far as I can
tell, this is not the case universally for cable TV. For example, where I live,
no mention of regulated fees:

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/cable/regulation/

So, if they price themselves too high, it's their decision, and their customers
will eventually consider cutting the cord. Say what you will, but this is the
marketplace at work, and no government involvement.