[opendtv] Re: News: Apple, Google Asked to Pay Up as Operators Face Data

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 09:35:21 -0500

 Yes. In our county there is a cable board that must approve the fees.

Even if true, that doesn't seem to be a standard, Craig.

When I say regulated it is more like "blessed." They never turn down a rate increase and now, where there is "competition" the FCC has decided that the local governments cannot regulate rates (see below).

If a monopolistic service is inevitable, such as cable TV, power, water distribution, I see no problem at all with regulated fees. But as far as I can tell, this is not the case universally for cable TV. For example, where I live, no mention of regulated fees:

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/cable/regulation/

From the FAQ on this site:

Does Fairfax County regulate cable rates?
Fairfax County does not regulate rates for cable television service. Federal law prevents local governments from regulating cable rates where there is "effective competition" as defined by federal law. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ruled in March 2007 that there was "effective competition" in the County. If you have questions about the rates charged by a cable operator, contact the Communications Policy and Regulation Division or call 703-324-5902, TTY 711.

What do the "franchise fees" and "Public, Educational and Government (PEG) support" charges on my cable bill mean? Fairfax County's cable franchise agreements require the cable operators to pay for the use of the public rights-of-way through franchise fees and support for Public, Educational and Government (PEG) cable channels. Federal law allows the cable operators to pass on these fees to subscribers. A portion of these fees goes to support Channel 16, the Fairfax County government channel, and the government institutional network.

So, if they price themselves too high, it's their decision, and their customers will eventually consider cutting the cord. Say what you will, but this is the marketplace at work, and no government involvement.

Say what you want Bert. You do anyway.

But this is NOT a marketplace at work.