[opendtv] Re: News: Apple, Google Asked to Pay Up as Operators Face Data

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 16:25:30 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> While it may be true that government regulators are not forcing
> the MVPDs and the content oligopoly to operate in this manner,
> they are allowing it to happen. These practices are clearly a
> violation of our anti-trust laws, but the politicians and
> regulators are happy to let his ride, since they get so many
> "promotional" benefits in return.

Ah, finally we might be getting somewhere.

Indeed, government regulators are not requiring this, and also, this bundling
is not necessarily a sign of collusion either. It is simple competition, along
with the desire to maximize profits. You only need to make the very slightest
changes, in a market where 85-90 percent of customers are lemmings, to get any
advantage. No need to reduce your profits on purpose, Craig.

Collusion is where MVPDs "convince" the CE vendors and the retailers to offer
only MVPD-related products and services, and to hide behind locked doors those
products that don't immediately benefit them.