[opendtv] Re: News; Affiliates Prepare to Swallow Bitter Reverse-Compensation Pill

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:19:53 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> So what happens to a local broadcaster when they start
> collecting retrans consent dollars?
>
> "The new reverse-comp deals won't always mean cash changes hands.
> In some cases, a station might turn over negotiations for
> retransmission-consent payments from local cable operators and
> let the network keep some or all of what it can get."

In principle, this shift could mean a drastic change in allegiances, or
rather lack thereof.

Take a Euro broadcaster like TF1. They buy content from all of the major
US networks. I've noticed TV affiliates here doing similar things for
sindicated programming, and also in their multicasts.

Why couldn't the affiliates do more of this, also for prime time? The
more the congloms expect from the affiliates, the less hold they would
have on those affiliates, no?