[opendtv] Re: News; Affiliates Prepare to Swallow Bitter Reverse-Compensation Pill

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:01:44 -0700

"One local TV executive judged it the biggest downer of a meeting that
was otherwise full of good tidings from the broadcast network. They
were reminded that the Beijing Olympics extravaganza is nigh, that
they will continue to benefit from the ratings power of "Sunday Night
Football" and the top-rated "Today" and "NBC Nightly News," and that
NBC's new fall lineup-which always raises hope in the hearts of
affiliates hungry to bounce back in prime time-will be heavily
promoted during the Olympics."

Is NBC programming worth paying for?  I can't think of the last time I
watched a program on NBC (I think it was last year sometime since SNL was
all reruns and sometimes a rerun of the same show within the same month!)
I certainly don't watch any of those items listed (I did watch the
Olympics four years ago).  Isn't NBC basically "the all Law & Order"
channel?

But I suppose it is enough to keep receiving retrans. fees from the cable
companies?

Dan