[opendtv] Re: NTIA: National Broadband Map has Helped Chart Broadband Evol

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 07:23:23 -0400

On Aug 15, 2015, at 7:33 PM, Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

You can't talk out of both sides of your mouth, Craig. You were just
complaining about needing decades, because of the expense, and I'm telling
you that companies like Netflix are perfectly happy to step in and take that
responsibility. Now what? It seems like you're trying to make the case for
the local broadband monopolies to retain more of that monopoly, even when
others are willing to take a bigger role.

No Bert, it is not because of the expense. It is because things don't change as
fast as you claim, and the legacy MVPDs have many ways they can drag this out.
Combine that with the fact that the content owners now rely on the second
revenue streams from the MVPDs, and it becomes clear that it is going to take
some time to change.

There is no question that Netflix, Amazon, Apple et al can invest in the
infrastructure to deliver their content over the top. Big deal. They are
investing in a new way to deliver content that will take a share of all TV
viewing time, and complement the legacy services. Perhaps Apple will be the
first to create a service that ties all this together. We will have to wait and
see. But Apple does not win by controlling a market - they win by controlling
the most profitable segment of markets, letting their competitors to fight for
the masses.

Thank you for making my point. Sure enough, Craig. If Apple and others make
it a point to NOT request hardware accelerators for Flash, but do request
accelerators for their own fave schemes, the outcome of any power-draw test
is going to be pre-determined, right?

Jobs detailed a list of six problems with Flash in his now famous 2010 letter,
Thoughts on Flash.

Maybe you should read it:

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

Graphics chip providers were adding video acceleration features to their chips
long before the dust up between Apple and Adobe.

What I cannot understand is why you, who typically encourages the use of
industry standards rather than proprietary tech, would continue to support
Adobe's proprietary tech. Then again, you do use Windows, and think Apple
operates walled gardens...

Anyway, water under the bridge. Like I said, supplying these different
protocols is now the job of CDNs. No reason to assume that this has a huge
impact on the backhaul networks.

Yes, even Adobe moved on. Offering multiple versions of files, or creating
adaptive streams is now part of the business. But the use of backhaul networks
versus edge servers to get the bits to a device is a different discussion, one
that is primarily related to the level of demand for those bits.