[opendtv] Re: MVPD Definition

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 07:46:53 -0400

On Aug 15, 2015, at 7:50 PM, Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Craig wrote:

My problem is with your obstinacy about a well documented acronym for
bundles
of linear channels from multiple sources - these are called MVPD services,
and
now Virtual MVPD services.

No, Craig, the definition is not at all as clear as you feel the need to
pretend.

First off, the MVPDs themselves disagree with your view. They think being an
MVPD depends on owning the facilities. Of COURSE they need to support that
point of view. Because a big part of being an MVPD is that you have that
local monopoly. Allowing others access to your same customers, with that same
walled-in content, simply won't do. Bad enough OTT services exist.

Not true.

First nobody has a local monopoly anymore. Every market has at least three
options for MVPD service, two of which are DBS systems with national
footprints. And then there is Sling. Many markets have Fios competitor. And now
Sony is providing a number of markets with a Virtual MVPD service.

None of what you said has anything to do with what a MVPD service IS.

Secondly, the FCC itself is not clear. Being an MVPD, including VMVPD, might
require carriage of the local broadcast stations.

We will need to wait for the final order to see what the FCC does. Carriage of
local broadcasters may well be a requirement, as it was for DBS systems.

Most importantly, not a single article I've read, and feel free to search out
yourself, has ever called Sling TV a VMVPD. Quite the contrary, they describe
Sling TV on the same terms as me, not as copy-cat VMVPDs as you insist on
pretending.

Keep reading:

This is an interesting article:

http://www.lek.com/sites/default/files/virtual-mvpds_mvpds_ott-tv_over-the-top-tv_over-the-top-tv-market-trends_ott-series-part2.pdf

In particular look at page four, "TV is Dead, long live TV"

And page six:
OTT TV Myth #5:

The Cable Bundle Is Going Away

Multichannel video programming distributor (MVPD) subscriptions have grown
slightly at 1.4% per year from 2011-14.

But new virtual MVPD services such as Apple TV or Sling TV are potential
substitutes to traditional cable subscriptions.

These services could contribute to a drop in the share of households
subscribing to traditional MVPDs from ~89% currently to ~70% in 2019.