[opendtv] Re: NTIA: National Broadband Map has Helped Chart Broadband Evol

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 00:50:46 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

The article states that more than 50% watch online TV at least once
a month. That is nothing like 50% of all TV viewing. Here is an
article from April:

Why TV is still crushing digital video, in 5 charts
http://digiday.com/platforms/upfrontses-tv-killing-digital-video-5-charts/

That's about 23% for online, which admittedly is growing rapidly - it
was only 5% a few years ago.

First, that the article does not explain what "digital video" is. Am I watching
"digital video" or "traditional TV," when I watch full length episodes at
cbs.com? This is a common problem with such articles. And yes, the ratio is now
24-76, according to this article, assuming we know what they are classifying as
"digital video." Which suggests that we're hardly decades away from being able
to do this for all TV content.

I mean the last mile of cabling Bert, not the ability of edge servers
to deliver bits over the local broadband networks to viewers. Why would
the cable companies keep building pons in neighborhoods, if the
bandwidth is already there?

The bandwidth is there, to each home, if you are connected via coax or fiber.
No need to touch cabling to those homes. What the telcos and the cablecos have
to do is restructure the upstream nodes. The amount of passive splitting
permissible is reduced, upstream. Recouping spectrum taken up by broadcast
MPEG-2 TS mitigates that problem, possibly by a whole lot.

So let's assume 200 homes per node. The typical HFS system using DOCSIS
2.0 has a potential throughput of 4.7 Gbps.

Okay, good data point here. Do the math, Craig. Let's say that your PON, much
like FiOS does, is still dedicating the equivalent of just 120 6-MHz channels
to broadcast MPEG-2 TS (256-QAM). If that bandwidth is completely recouped, and
provided for broadband, how many homes could be fed with 20 Mb/s? You might be
surprised. Do the numbers. So perhaps, could you double the number of homes in
the PON? Or feed each home twice as much broadband capacity?

So what this says is that for systems that have already reduced nodes
to 200 subscribers they are close to being able to switch to all IP.

I'd say, less than no sweat. Which is why we are essentially there, Craig, as
far as the cable plant goes. See how it helps to do the math, Craig? Without
that, you simply can't get the picture.

Perhaps. But the cable systems will be providing the broadband and
are the logical place for co-location of servers.

But they complain about costs, and not without reason. That's where the CDNs,
funded by others, can step in. And not just that, but these distributed servers
can be fed from satellite signals, which would also be someone else's concern
than the ISP. They don't need to use the backhaul network owned by the ISP. And
the servers would choreograph shows like news, also outside the purview of the
ISP.

---------------------
http://www.softwareindustryinsights.com/2011/11/adobe-throws-in-the-towel-on-mobile-flash/
. . .
It's also not surprising given the fact that for all their protestations, and
pronouncements about hardware acceleration, Flash was a dog on mobile devices.
Performance was poor and battery life suffered even more.
. . .

Did they have the hardware accelerators implemented in their mobile device
tests? The article doesn't say. Kon already spoke on this, Craig. And more
importantly, does AppleTV have any such power starvation problems? Nope. Just
wanting to make life difficult, that's all.

In any event, I'll repeat, it's not that Flash or proprietary should last
forever. It's that you don't drop something like a hot potato, when dealing
with industry standards such as these, and expect a smooth transition. You make
a royal pain in the rear of yourself, instead.